There are two types of WordPress Themes or WP Themes: Free and Paid (or sometimes called Premium)
Some companies offer both Free and Premium WP themes, some offer subscription based themes where they launch new WordPress Themes each month.
For starters, I recommend using Free WordPress Themes first just to get the hang of using a new theme, there are many resources for Free WordPress Themes and we will feature a Free WordPress Theme once a week at this site.
There are literally thousands (or even millions) of Free and Premium WordPress Themes around the net, but you can also have a custom WordPress Theme. We will feature an article soon on how you can create your own WordPress Theme.
Choosing a WordPress Theme maybe very time consuming, but you can already narrow it down with these tips:
- Do you need a theme with fixed width or variable width?
- Do you want a 2 column or 3 column theme?
- Do you need a dynamic sidebar? (Some old wordpress themes do not support dynamic sidebar)
- If you are using the latest version of WordPress, make sure that the theme is compatible with your version.
- Colors: some themes have the functionality to change the color scheme, but most just has one color scheme.